to summarize and articulate the mission and manner of The American Society of Mechanical Engineers, clearly conveying the vital and expanding role of the association while engaging members, employees
to ensure a representative balance between ASME’s legacy of engineering products and services while presenting its evolving role as key solution forum for critical issues facing humankind.
create a brief brand statement and a series of message themes built upon key ASME characteristics,
areas of strategic focus and competitive advantage.
Conducted internal brand research with key stakeholders
- interviewed ASME senior leaders and subject matter experts to understand current brand perceptions
- reviewed and assessed recent customer research and competitive analysis of like minded organizations
- outlined and reported on research findings to set baseline for brand development exercises
Drafted Preliminary Brand Statement
Critical elements included:
-principal Mission (why do we exist)
-brand Attributes (dynamic, emotive concepts aligned ASME)
-key Differentiators (what sets us apart)
Drafted Key Messages Aligned with Brand Statement
These short statements were designed to further outline the brand’s focus:
-Relevance: providing real solutions for real world challenges
-Engagement: promoting the role of engineering
-Collaboration: sharing a wealth of knowledge
-Global Perspective: seeing, shaping and influencing “the big picture”
- The branding process was well-received by ASME’s diversified leadership/management
- Key Messages were integrated into all internal communication vehicles
- ASME employees, active members and the larger engineering community reported that new
brand helped clarify the association’s mission and global scope of activities.